Friday, September 14, 2012

new moon.

The new moon quiets me, wrings me out, challenges me to be a better person in thought and deed. I want to bathe in salts with smelly herbs and burn incense on small charcoal rounds. And yet the children are underfoot, and a FB video of father-daughter wedding dances has me weeping in the afternoon, head in my hands, missing my father, even thought I see him every week. I miss the father he could have been. I miss dancing with him, even though he never danced, even when he could. I wonder if he regrets that.

I have a disease. I share it with my father, and crying in the afternoon after wedding videos makes me remember how important it is for me to care for it, treat it like a volatile thing. I underestimate it sometimes. That never does me any good. I respect it. Fear it, sometimes. Think I will be struck drunk, as my friend says, like bourbon will come into my home and pour itself down my throat. I make dream tea and herbal remedies instead. It wards off the sudden surprise drunk.


I found a photograph at my mother's house. It is of an old Indian woman. I used to think she was my grandmother, since my mother told me that my grandmother smoked a pipe and cussed like a sailor. But I learned later that my mother's friend is a photojournalist and took the photograph for some tourist brochures in the late 70s. The Indian is Panamian and covered in malas. Her nose is pierced in the middle and she is smoking a pipe. There is a parrot on her fence. I dream of her. And others. They come on horses, and take me deep into the desert. I don't know what the metaphor is anymore. I sit with it and seek answers from oracles and psychics and astrologers and they always tell me that my heart knows what the answer is.

But it doesn't. The heart aches for what once was, some days, and we all know that is a crock of not-right. I was a drunk. I couldn't get out from under grief. Today, I am a free woman. I hang the picture above my computer, next to the sign that says, "EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK."

The baby keeps turning on his fire engine's siren. Whee--ooo, whee--ooo. I read tarot for my cousin and feel  like I should warn her, even though the cards are all positive and lovely and point to love. "I hear an alarm. The guides tell me there is going to be a fire." Love is a kind of fire, and I drift off in thought as I order herbs to make teas, oils to anoint, salts to draw out impurities. I listen to guided meditations and see nothing, but a huge indigo orb. The truth is the herbs and tarot and meditation is such a small part of my day, it is hardly worth noting. I do crafts, and clean-up, and make snacks, and scold the children for fighting. The hours sit on top of one another.This full school schedule makes writing almost an impossibility, yet here I am writing, mid-afternoon, as the children turn on sirens, and use meditation cushions as weapons.

I just needed to take some time to think, and write, and order herbs and print out my novel. I vow to work on it after nine months. To just read it again, perhaps. I wore out an ink cartridge halfway through, so I changed the font to purple and continued until there was no more colored ink. I secretly wish I would have chosen dragon's blood. Can you get that for a laser printer? I would run my hand through the top, and print it in some medieval font that is only used for fake certificates. It would be written on my body, written in magic, written in myth and religion. I fear that is all it would ever be. It is a novel about UFOs, and ancient Greeks, and being a halfie and war. It is mostly about war.

Jess and I went to a palmist last weekend. He gropes hands. Studies hair. Sensually grasps arms for information, reading something no one else can see. His fingers go over tattoos, taking it in with no fanfare. His personal mannerisms and lack of spiritual connection made me feel sorry for him. I asked him if he wanted my hair down. I unfurl it from the stick that holds it up. Mass of curls come around my face, making me look feral and exotic. I would have draped it over his neck, in his hair, anywhere for more information. But he takes it in his hair, turns it around. "Oh, see, now I am cheating," he jokes. "It is clearly written right here in this curl. Wait, no. Yes. Of course."

What do you see? Tell me more. Tell me what I can't see. Tell me what is next. I feel so lost. Tell me what to do.

He told me I had a weak uterine wall, and when I asked about a career, he said I would be a soccer mom. I cringe, and nod and wonder if he's right. It's probably the first psychic reading I have ever had that is just a series of mundane things, probably much more accurate than anything I have had before. To many people, that is all I am. Jess gets indignant after.

DID HE EVEN LOOK AT YOU? NOTHING ABOUT YOU SCREAMS SOCCER MOM.

Oh but it does. I AM A SOCCER MOM! I drive an SUV! I buy clothes at TARGET! I watch my daughter play actual SOCCER! With SHIN GUARDS! I am a soccer mom! Albeit one that wears crystals, and gypsy clothes. I smudge my children before practice, and spray them with a reiki-charged spray to cleanse the aura. I commune with the angels, and hang onto dark crystals so I can tell your fortune. The local crystal shop asked me to interview for their tarot reading position. I stare into my fake crystal ball.

I see myself, draped in deep red fabric, nose pierced, smoking a pipe. There is a woman sitting across from me. She is wearing a high ponytail and a sweater-cardigan set. I kick the mini-soccer ball under my crystal ball. I sage her. She coughs a bit, and adjusts her Coach purse. I ask her if she wants to know everything, even if it says she is just a soccer mom. Then I ask her if she minds if I put my hair down.



6 comments:

  1. I'm lying flat on the floor, on my back. Totally alone, but children sleep upstairs and In crevices In the sky where I can't see them. And Bill plays guitar. And I'm on my smart-stupid phone. But still the days are shorter and colder and I'm thinking of wearing a witch's hat just because. And I don't know what to do or how to breathe or see clearly as I fall. "I feel so lost" too. Read me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you do not have comments on your most recent post Lifesaver on purpose, but I feel the need to comment. It makes me smile. I feel Lucia. She is not dark and sad. My son dying will always be sad beyond words, but HE is not sad. Lucia does not weight you down in grief, but rather lifts you up; lifts me up. Wow, that sounds so cliche when I write it and I don't mean to sound trite. Now I wonder if I should even post this but I will. Your Lucia has made my day better and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll also post on "Lifesaver" here. As a writer, sometimes if I am blocked, I'll revert to grief. Because it feels natural and well worn. But often that work feels like I've come to it for other reasons outside itself, which I have. But, as importantly, everything else I write alludes to it. So, it is important for your readers to see it all balled up together. Please. Keep writing here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't seem to comment in a timely manner.

    Regarding your palmist, my first response was similar to Jess'. You should have grabbed a handful of his hair and told him that he's always going to be a jackass.

    I see your point about the soccer mom thing and the grain of truth but it seems like he was shuffling you, a fellow human being and a paying customer, off. And that's just not cool, you know?

    On the other hand, maybe it wasn't a pejorative. Maybe the kiddos are going to be so awesome at soccer that it will take up all of your time...that you aren't using to follow your elusive path...which is surely out there waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not trust that palmist, and I do trust Jess. On the other hand, I like the idea of reappropriating the term "soccer mom" and making it something more meaningful and less disdainful, and I would think that if anyone can do that, it would be you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing post.Thank you very much for this important post.
    Kids Meditation

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?